Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Born On This Day- August 24th... British Writer & Actor Stephen Fry



















Comedian, successful novelist, star of the silver screen, raconteur & wit are all part of the dazzling resume of Stephen Fry.

He recently played The Cheshire Cat in Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland. I have really enjoyed the work of funny actor/writer Stephen Fry since I first spotted him in the very enjoyable Jeeves & Wooster with Hugh Laurie (he has appeared on Laurie’s series- Bones), based on the books by P.G. Wodehouse’s Jeeves books, which I had read in early college. At the time, I felt that I would make a very good Jeeves, who is an improbably well informed & talented valet in 1920s England. Mr. Fry was fabulous in this role. I have been following & enjoying his work since this series stopped airing in the early 90s. The openly gay actor has stated, when asked about his coming out- "I suppose it all began when I came out of the womb. I looked back up at my mother & thought to myself, 'That's the last time I'm going up one of those.'”

I thought he was hysterical as King Charles l in Black Adder. He is good personal friends with Prince Charles & his horsey 2nd wife, even though his performance in Black Adder was a parody of Elizabeth 2’s son. Other favorite performances: Oscar Wilde in Wilde with Jude Law (“a role that I was fated to play”) & 2 of my all time favorite films- Gosford Park & Cold Comfort Farm. I understand that he appears in something called the Harry Potter series of films. I have also enjoyed his books- The Liar, Making History, The Hippopotamus & The Star’s Tennis Balls. Fry lives in London with his husband- Daniel Cohen. He famously drives a black TX4 London cab. Mr. Fry has & maintains a nifty blog- The New Adventures Of Mr. Stephen Fry.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stephen:
    Thank you for coming by and saying hi. I read your profile and I would love to see your bungalow and garden.
    I shall look for the book Flea Market Decorating so I can see your home & garden.
    I like the "move in a fit of middle age anxiety : )"
    My next move will be to Oahu before I turn 65. Will I still be middle age? I know I will still be anxious : )
    Take care to you & your husband.
    peace
    carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. When JTMF was celebrating our 5th Anniversary, we wrote to gay and gay-friendly celebs and asked them to donate something for our siolent auction. We got gifts from Robin Williams, Carol Burnett, Marc Cherry and (among others) Mr. Fry, who was very sweet to mail us an autographed book and CD from the UK. He remains one of my heroes.

    ReplyDelete

What is on your mind?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...