Wednesday, August 12, 2009
"The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use to oneself."
I am the supervisor for fourteen 19-30 year olds. I hire, train, schedule, guide, babysit, counsel & show the way to this group of young people. Strangely enough, they seem to care what I think & they ask advice on a variety of subjects. It seems like an odd situation to be in, as I am still trying, in my mid-50s, to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. I am able to face them & give them 5 pieces of advice from my half century of experience of living this life:
1. Don't abuse your credit. Have 2 cards, but pay off the balance each month. I have learned a very nasty lesson in this regard. Believe me... heed this advice. I didn't do this & I am still paying the price. It makes me unhappy everyday.
2. Save something from every paycheck. Even of you put just $5 from every paycheck into a savings account, do it! Go without lattes for one day a month. Don't ever look at or pay attention to your balance. In 25 years, take a look at your account & you will be very pleased that you took my advice. I didn't do this. I spent every penny on drugs, alcohol, stuff & fun. I wished I had put aside just a little bit from every paycheck. Big mistake.
3. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize... no matter how young you are or how much time you spend in the sun, get a quality product & take care of your skin. I DID DO THIS & I am 56 years old & I have no wrinkles. How cool is that?
4. "Never Face The Facts"... from one of my true idols- Ruth Gordon, Oscar winning actress & star of stage, screen & television. As the star of one of the most influential films of my life- Harold & Maude, this quote is from one of her 3 volumes of memoirs & the most important quote for inspiration on how to live my life. If I had ever faced the facts, I would have given up long ago& I wouldn't be here now.
5. From some rock n' roll group that I was crazy about in my youth- "&, in the end... the love you take, is equal to the love you make"