Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Advice... It Is Free



"The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use to oneself."
Oscar Wilde

I am the supervisor for fourteen 19-30 year olds. I hire, train, schedule, guide, babysit, counsel & show the way to this group of young people. Strangely enough, they seem to care what I think & they ask advice on a variety of subjects. It seems like an odd situation to be in, as I am still trying, in my mid-50s, to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. I am able to face them & give them 5 pieces of advice from my half century of experience of living this life:

1. Don't abuse your credit. Have 2 cards, but pay off the balance each month. I have learned a very nasty lesson in this regard. Believe me... heed this advice. I didn't do this & I am still paying the price. It makes me unhappy everyday.

2. Save something from every paycheck. Even of you put just $5 from every paycheck into a savings account, do it! Go without lattes for one day a month. Don't ever look at or pay attention to your balance. In 25 years, take a look at your account & you will be very pleased that you took my advice. I didn't do this. I spent every penny on drugs, alcohol, stuff & fun. I wished I had put aside just a little bit from every paycheck. Big mistake.

3. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize... no matter how young you are or how much time you spend in the sun, get a quality product & take care of your skin. I DID DO THIS & I am 56 years old & I have no wrinkles. How cool is that?

4. "Never Face The Facts"... from one of my true idols- Ruth Gordon, Oscar winning actress & star of stage, screen & television. As the star of one of the most influential films of my life- Harold & Maude, this quote is from one of her 3 volumes of memoirs & the most important quote for inspiration on how to live my life. If I had ever faced the facts, I would have given up  long ago& I wouldn't be here now.

5. From some rock n' roll group that I was crazy about in my youth- "&, in the end... the love you take, is equal to the love you make"

5 comments:

  1. Save money, moisturize and answer the tag I tagged you with over on mrpeenee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never face facts is the keeper.
    Oh, and the moisturizer.
    And that whole credit and savings stuff.

    Okay, it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful advice. These simple things make such an impact on life. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific advice Stephen. The video is one of my favorite Annie Lennox tongue in cheek bits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good advice indeed! Like you, I did not start #1 or #2 early enough and also regretted it later on.

    ReplyDelete

What is on your mind?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...